City of Vinton is accepting applications for a full time City Clerk-Treasurer. Responsibilities include but are not limited to performing a variety of complex, specialized, and fund accounting, financial, budgetary, and administrative duties which require accuracy, proficiency, confidentiality and limited independent judgment. Experience with municipal administration and good communication skills are desirable. Salary depends on qualifications.Applications and resumes may be mailed to City of Vinton 110 West 3rd Street, PO Box 529 Vinton, Iowa 52349 or emailed to email@example.com no later than 4:30 pm on August 21, 2020
CLASS TITLE: CITY CLERK/TREASURER DEPARTMENT: ADMINISTRATION
A position required by State Code appointed by City Council combined with the duties of Treasurer. The Clerk is the recording, record keeping, finance and accounting officer of the City. Exercises independent judgment and discretion with respect to matters required by State Code and City Ordinances.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Has custody of all funds (452.10), invests funds not needed currently (453.1), receive permit fees (89.35) and maintains deposits of funds (384.851.
- Maintain official City records (372.13), records measures of Council (380.7). debt service and bonds of public officers (64.42).
- Administers oaths and takes affirmations (78.2), certifies measures including budget, tax levy and assessment schedules (380.11); has custody of the City seal.
- Publish annual financial report and public debt (384.22), codes and ordinances and public notices (380.8).
- Record measures of Electric Board, keep lists of appointments and terms of office, accept nominations and comments, inform appointees; open and announce sealed bids.
- Estimate City revenues for budget preparation and administrative expenses.
- Supervise clerks and accounting and prepare monthly list of bills to pay and budget report.
- Attend regular and special Council meetings.
- Applies for new vehicle license plates and maintains addition/deletion for vehicle insurance.
- Issues licenses for contractors and other businesses and vocations.
- Other duties as may be assigned by the Council, Mayor or in assisting the City Coordinator.
DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the operations of local government
- Basic knowledge of computer operation and terms
- Ability to use standard office equipment and typewriter
- Ability to earn City Clerk certification
- Ability to work with the public and other City employees
- High School graduation or GED
- Experience working with the public
- Experience with modern office procedures, record keeping and business communications
Rev. Date 11/04